October 14, 2024

Installing Ubuntu 24.04 or 24.10 on an old MacBook Air(2011)

Updated 2024-10-14 !

I have done several posts Blogging about how to keep an old MacBook Air(MBA), mid 2011(A1369), with SSD disk "alive". I have used the fantastic software package
OpenCore Legacy patcher to upgrade the Mac to the latest Mac OS. 

A while ago i tested Mac OS Sonoma(14.5), on the mentioned Mac, but I had to admit that Sonoma was a little to much for the 13 year old companion.

I really like the Mac and everything works, after a battery change, so it ended up with installing the latest Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS or if you want the latest scroll down and get Ubuntu 24.10.

Intro
I really must start this intro saying that it really just worked. After a little more than a hour I had a nice working Mac again. 

The install process took care of everything from WiFi, Bluetooth, keypad, microphone, speakers, keyboard light and so on.

Upgrade from 24.04 to 24.10 ? 
Open "Software & Updates => Updates tab => Notify me of a new Ubuntu version
=> Change to "For any new version" => Close".

Open "Software Updater" app, run an update check and click "upgrade" in the dialog box.

Install
Please check out this Blog post which explains the whole install. After information about Packet Managers some apps are installed.

Apple things
And then some thougts, after you done the installation, that are Apple specific.

iCloud access
If you want to access your iCloud functions there is app called "iCloud Notes"Install via "App Center". Despite the apps name you will get access to all the other iCloud functions.

Another app is "iCloud"(iCloud for Linux), via "App Center", which, unlike the first one, creates one app for every iCloud function.

But maybe you are satisfied with just accessing the iCloud functions via your preferred browser ?

iCloud Drive sync
Didn't find any smart and free way but in this post I described a workaround.

Mail clients
I have tested both the default mail client Thunderbird and Evolution, installed via "Flatpak".

Thunderbird
  • Create unified folders via "Menu => View => Folders => Unified folders" 
  • Allow remote content via "Menu => Settings => Privacy & Security => Allow remote content in messages"

With both Mail Clients there was no problem to add my Gmail account credentials but when adding the iCloud mail account I was forced to use an App-specific password.

Chrome
The Chrome installation is described in the other Blog Post but it could be that you miss your Safari Bookmarks ?

So in Safari "File => Export => Bookmarks" and in Chrome select "More" in the upper right corner and then "Bookmarks => Import Bookmarks and Settings".

Remote Desktop
MacOS has a built-in VNC server that allows you to access a Mac's desktop using a VNC client. A recommended client for Ubuntu is Remmina which also supports other protocols. 

In "App center" search for "Remmina" and "Filter by => Snap packages" and install.

On the target Mac activate the VNC server with "Settings => General => Sharing => Screen Sharing". Additional settings are available if you click on the ⓘ symbol.

Secondary Click
At first the secondary click, default "Corner Push", didn't work.  But by just open up "Settings => Mouse & Touchpad => Clicking => Secondary Click" and select "Two Finger Push", test it and then going back to "Corner Push" solved it.

4 comments:

  1. Hei. good to hear, that your machine is running well!
    I have been using Ubuntu for a few years on my 2013 MacBook Air. However, I was unable to update to 24.04. The installation went smoothly, but after that I was unable to boot and ended up with a grub error. There seemed to be a problem with the internal hard drive. I then reinstalled 23.10, which works without any problems, but after losing all my data once, I'm worried about trying again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Your comment. Maybe a format of the disk and a "clean" install of 24.04 will help?

      Delete
  2. did a clean install two times.
    in the next days 24.04.1 LTS will roll out. I will try again by then, I think!
    I will come back to report...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, then I think, as you suggested, waiting for the new LTS is the best. Did you have Internet connection during the install ?

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment ! ... but due to a lot of spam comments I have to moderate them. Will reply ASAP !