February 20, 2023

Z-Wave on Raspberry PI

Updated 2023-02-23 !

Installing a Z-Wave controller on Raspberry Pi is much easier than You think.

The only add on You need is the Razberry Z-wave Shield and free software from the same site.

Intro
This was the base for my Homekit project.

I started up with a clean SD card with the latest version of Raspberry Pi OS Lite and the Razberry card mounted.

Buster and Bullseye are supported !

Install
From my, Mac using the app Terminal, PC using PuTTY, I logged on to the RPi with ssh and then installed the application


$ wget -q -O - http://razberry.z-wave.me/install | sudo bash

2023-02-23  The z-way-server (4.0.2) is installed.

Upgrading ??  Use the same command !!

After the installation is finished check some rows up in the log and find the text


Your user id: 12345
Your password: secret

write this down, because if You want remote access it's necessary, and reboot the RPi

$ sudo reboot

WEB interfaces
The WEB user interface is located on port 8083 so in my case I used the URL

http://192.168.1.81:8083

Then You will see the logon screen with the user "admin" prompted.
Just chose a password and then Your ready to set up the system

The expert interface is located at


http://192.168.1.81:8083/expert/

If You want use Remote access and/or Remote support got to


and use the user id and password from the installation log.

Support
Instructions are available at the Razberry site or check the forum.

Remarks
Error
If you are doing an "sudo apt update" and get the error "public key is not available" just use the upgrade command above which will solve the problem.

Short instal log, upgrading to V3, with answers


Configuration file '/etc/init.d/z-way-server'
*** z-way-server (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y

Configuration file '/etc/logrotate.d/z-way-server'
*** z-way-server (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? y

Configuration file '/opt/z-way-server/config/Defaults.xml'
*** Defaults.xml (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? y

Configuration file '/etc/zbw/userid'
*** userid (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/etc/zbw/passwd'
*** passwd (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Configuration file '/etc/zbw/local_port'
*** local_port (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n 

4 comments:

  1. I do not have these rows:

    Your user id: 12345
    Your password: secret

    Instead i can call the raspberry pi url on port 8083 and have to set an admin password.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, and thanks for your comment. These 2 rows are shown to be used for remote access, not local. I had to rebuild my z-way installation for some days ago and they where shown....

      Delete
  2. Could this method also be used with an Aeotec 7 USB stick om Raspbian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you have to use Aeotecs own software
      https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000230551-z-pi-7-user-guide-

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment ! ... but due to a lot of spam comments I have to moderate them. Will reply ASAP !