Windows program on Linux ? Proxmox with Bottles or Windows ?

It was 20 years ago I used Windows but having an old Actisense NGT-1, NMEA 2000 interface, where I had to update the firmware made it inpossible to avoid. 

Of course I could have used some friends Windows PC but it's not the same challange. 
😉

Linux Bottles is a free tool that lets you run Windows programs and games on Linux. It makes Wine easy to use by organizing separate virtual environments, called bottles, with a simple screen.

And maybe Windows don't need an any intro ..... ?

Bottles
Key Features
  • Virtual Environments: Keeps each Windows app safe and separate in its own container, Flatpak, (bottle).
  • Easy Fixes: Automatically downloads needed Windows files like .NET and Visual C++.
  • Gaming Ready: Works well with game stores and Proton layers. 

Main Tools
  • Runner Manager: Changes the compatibility layer version easily.
  • Task Manager: Checks and stops programs that freeze.
  • Backup Tool: Saves and restores your virtual bottles.
Short install help
I created a debian 13 VM/Guest, without Desktop, in Proxmox and then 

apt install xfce4 => Lightweight Desktop, reboot and the GUI will appear in the console
apt install flatpak
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub com.usebottles.bottles

and then start the application via the Desktop.

Windows 
In Proxmox I created the Windows VM and I will not write down any info about that ..... there are several guides about that on the WEB. The only reflection after the installation is that Windows 11 is really a big and heavy application.....

Conclusion
Sorry to say I couldn't get the Actisense Toolkit software to discover the USB NGT-1 so had to use the Windos VM instead.

I tested some other applications in the Bottles environment and it worked just fine.

Comments

Popular posts, last 30 days

OpenPlotter V3, install guide

OpenPlotter v4 , install guide

iCloud drive sync, or mount, with a Linux, Ubuntu, device

Raspberry headless install with WiFi

Victron monitoring solution, Venus, on Raspberry

HomeKit bridge with Ring

IVT, Bosch heat pump easy integration, Home Assistant

Home Assistant with VirtualBox or Proxmox or Linux KVM ???

Signal K quick install, Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu