July 10, 2020

VHF antenna splitter, receive

During my AIS project with SDR:s as receivers I built my own antenna for use at home, a standard DIY dipol antenna

I connected the dipol, to SDR antenna input, with an a female SMA extension cable which I cut it in two pieces and soldered to the dipol. 

For the boat I didn't want an extra VHF antenna so....

.... instead I bought an antenna splitter from Glomex. Please note that this splitter can not be used with an AIS tranciever !!

I changed the standard VHF antenna cable/connector, output from the splitter, to the mentioned SMA cable above, soldered it to the PCB, and connected it to the SDR antenna input.

Connect to 12 V DC and then You can receive and decode the VHF/AIS signals.

As an add on, the splitter also have an FM-radio antenna output which turned out to be better then the old antenna we had onboard.

2 comments:

  1. I installed the same Glomex Splitter to a system similar to yours - SDR AIS (connected with a BNC to SMA adapter), FM Stereo and Raymarine/Raytheon RAY201 VHF and I get noise that I am unable to squelch out on the VHF. are you seeing any additional noise? if I turn the power off, the noise disappears

    this is Techstyle from the Openplotter forum - nice site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Techstyle! Glad you liked the site. I have no problem with noice. Think it must be some sort of interference which sometimes is solved with a ferrite bead. Search with "wiki Ferrite bead"

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment ! ... but due to a lot of spam comments I have to moderate them. Will reply ASAP !