The Proxmox integration in Home Assistant

For a while ago I migrated my Home Assistant environment to Proxmox and in the search for a good server monitoring software I had to test the HA Proxmox integration.

As said its lets you monitor your Proxmox VE nodes, virtual machines, containers and storage, in Home Assistant, and exposes control actions if your Proxmox permissions allows it.

The instructions are nice but I will add some info to make it even better 😉

A very lightweight version, bash script, MQTT, Node-RED, that will monitor all your Linux servers is found here !


Set up
Install the integration and then proceed with permissions.

It's very important that you apply the right permission so all possible entities, data and buttons, are available !!! Even storage with appropriate info is shown.

So instead of using the roles in the manual I created a new "Role", named "HomeAssistant", with all the listed permissions below
"Datacenter => Permissions Roles => Create"

The credentials need VM.Audit, Sys.Audit and Datastore.Audit on what you track to read — plus VM.GuestAgent.Audit for a VM's disk usage from inside the guest — and more to act — VM.PowerMgmt for a guest's power buttons, Sys.PowerMgmt for a node's, VM.Snapshot, VM.Backup, Sys.Modify for package updates.

I used the "PVE" realm with password and please note that password must be at least 8 positions long.

A little "odd" thing is that if you for example create a user named "ha" the user name will be "ha@pve".

Restart the integration and check.

A HACS integration
Another Proxmox with a lot more entities is found here. It's also here I found the info about the permissions.
If you want to compare this integration with the "standard" here is moore info.

Comments

Popular posts, last 30 days

Installing Ubuntu 24.04 or 26.04 on an old MacBook Air(2011)

Clone the Raspberry boot disk

iCloud drive sync, or mount, with a Linux, Ubuntu, device

IKEA Bäve dimmer hack II

SeaTalk1 to NMEA 0183 converter, DIY

Raspberry Pi OS Lite with GUI, RDP, VNC, Chromium

OpenPlotter V2, install guide

Home Assistant with VirtualBox or Proxmox or Linux KVM ???

AIS for Raspberry with Map, Dispatcher