May 10, 2022

Wine, Windows apps on Linux, Raspberry

What is Wine

The OpenSource project, themselves, explains it as; 

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD

So why ? In my case, I'm just running macOS and Linux, I had and old gadget where I had to change the settings and this could only be made with a windows program.

Intro
When doing temporary solutions i always use a Raspberry Pi(RPi), with RPiOS installed on a SSD, which nowadays is very quick to setup. Then when you are ready with the project just wipe the SSD or make a backup to a SD card.

Install
Despite extensive Googling and testing I couldn't find an easy way to install Wine, on RPiOS, until I turned to the great "appstore" for RPi, Pi-Apps(PIA).
  • Using a RPi, with GUI, install Pi Apps.
  • Start PIA, which will appear in "Application Menu => Accessories => Pi Apps".
  • Click on search, down to the left, and type "Wine". Pick "Wine(x86) => OK => Install"
After the install several Wine programs will appear in "System Tools" and here is a Wine quick start together with a FAQ.

If you are on other Linux distributions this will probably help.

If you just want to test a Windows program why don't test the nice Advanced IP Scanner which worked very well for me.

Remark
When I was running Wine via a terminal window I couldn't run the RPi headless. Got an error "Failed to get primary CRTC info". But if I installed via "Wine Program Manager" and then executed the Windows application via "Wine Desktop" it worked nice headless via VNC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment ! ... but due to a lot of spam comments I have to moderate them. Will reply ASAP !