March 12, 2023

Upgrade from Buster to Bullseye, Raspberry

Uppdated 2023-10-28 !

I have been running a Raspberry Pi 2(RPi) for several years with Buster and the applications;

When I started with the RPi it was Jessie, then Stretch and Buster. Every time I upgraded the SD card to the latest OS and it just worked. It should been said that I always waited a year or so and I'm using the RPi headless without any GUI.

Now it was time to go from Buster to Bullseye !

Intro
Backup
Before an update you have to take a backup and I'm using this application.

OS update
Start with an update of your OS

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt clean

and a reboot can't be wrong ! $ sudo reboot now

Nodejs
Since both HB and NR depends on Node.js it's always nice to use some method to upgrade to the latest. I used the built in function i Hombridge, going from v14 to v18, using the command

$ sudo hb-service update-node

Another working method could probably have been this.

OS upgrade
Since I always waited a year, after a new release, there was always some smart guy how did the hard job and made some documentation.

This time I found this post which is very precise and which I just followed.

Wrap up
A thought
I'm really impressed that the applications from 2015 is still working after all these upgrades.

Remark 1
Using the command 

$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

revealed xx.list files which I examined and some of them was obsolete and could be deleted.

Remark 2
Some days after the upgrade I noticed that the RPi clock wasn't synchronized and checked with 

$ timedatectl

               Local time: Thu 2023-03-02 19:02:34 CET

           Universal time: Thu 2023-03-02 18:02:34 UTC

                 RTC time: n/a

                Time zone: Europe/Stockholm (CET, +0100)

System clock synchronized: no

              NTP service: n/a

          RTC in local TZ: no


which confirmed my observations and then checking further 

$ timedatectl timesync-status

Failed to query server: The name org.freedesktop.timesync1 was not provided by any .service files


confirmed that the systemd job not even was set up ??

Did some googling but didn't got any good hints so just installed chrony

$ sudo apt install chrony


without any configuration for chrony as NTP server, and then the synchronization started up. Check again with 

$ timedatectl

Remark 3
An error with CUPS appeared 

"File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.3" not available: No such file or directory"

which is solved here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment ! ... but due to a lot of spam comments I have to moderate them. Will reply ASAP !